Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Opinions on my chances of getting into Harvard or any of the IVY's

Opinions on my chances of getting into Harvard or any of the IVY's?
I just finished junior year in a new school. I am Ecuadorian, and i studied their my whole life till this year in which I moved to Phillips Exeter Academy alone. The change was brutal to me and thus my usual 3.6 GPA got destroyed till my spring term grades in which I almost have a B+ average. My fall and winter terms were both B- average.my cumulative gpa for Junior year was a 7.4 which is midway between a B- and B Do you think Harvard will understand that? I am hoping that my senior fall grades will be around an A- average. My class this past year haven't been AP but I was in accelerated Russian and above average level math class. I am planning on next year taking a lot harder courses. As for my extracurricular activities, I have done 4 years of swimming, 1 year of fencing, 1 year of golf. Except for swimming (JV) i have never tried out for teams. I won a gold tournament in 9th grade back home. I have worked at a pizza restaurant that past couple summers. I also used to volunteer as a translator for Doctors that came to ecuador to operate for free. I also used to have an internship at a vet clinic. I have been in the Student government as a class representative and participated in MUN. At Exeter I volunteered at a nursing home once a week for 2 hours and I am also part of the student listener organization, which is a club that helps and listens to other students when they have problems, and the International Student Organization. I am proficient in English, Spanish, Russian. I can understand Italian, and I have just finished one year of Latin. I spent last summer in Siberia teaching English and Spanish. This summer I am going with a program to Tanzania to build schools and orphanages and then to Israel for some more volunteer work. Before this I spent a one month of my sophomore summer at a summer school in Switzerland and another one in London. I havent yet taken the SAT II so I am unsure of the scores but I am hoping to have well above average scores. As for the SAT I took it the first time June 4th, the scores still haven't arrived, but because of all the practice tests I think I will get above a 2000 but below a 2300. So do you think I have a shot at applying to Harvard? Thank you for reading it all
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You should definitely apply if that is where you want to go. If you are passionate enough, you have a shot. Nothing is impossible. You should always apply to the schools you want to go to the most and backup schools. Good luck!


Read more discussion :