Friday, May 7, 2010

What kind of dog should I get

What kind of dog should I get?
I am a full time nursing student at the moment, so I am not planning on getting a puppy just yet...But I am trying to do plenty of research to find out what breed of dog is best. Of the surveys/dog breed selector quizzes I have taken, they keep pointing to Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, Anatolian Shepherd, German Shepherd, Mastiff... Here is what I am looking for: A dog that I can leave alone while at work, with access to the outdoors and indoors. I plan on exercising the dog with walks and playing. And I plan on taking the time needed when I first bring the puppy home in order to form a bond with it. A large dog that can will be a deterrent to strangers, yet not be very aggressive or overly friendly. One that will get along with my small Chihuahua and my cat. I do plan on taking any breed I get to obedience classes for socialization and proper training. Among working with the dog in general. Above all else, I want an excellent companion. I will be an RN, in my own home with a large fenced in yard, and more than likely single. Any help you can provide me will be most appreciated. Also, I have owned a german shepherd/chow mix, lab, cockerpoo, chihuahua, poodle, bloodhound...just to give a little insight on my dog ownership background.
Dogs - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I think you really need to check out a SMOOTH COLLIE. They are the same as the Rough Collie, just short hair. A Smooth Collie will meet and exceed all your requirements. Most people are not familiar with the Smooth Collie, I think they are the best kept secret. Here are some links.... This link shows the difference in coat between Rough and Smooth and the colors they come in http://www.collieclubofamerica.org/cfd/01Varieties.pdf and this link "The Collie as a family dog" http://www.collieclubofamerica.org/cfd/index.html PS. I have a friend that raises Anatolians, they are a VERY protective breed of dog, and not one that I would ever have. They can be very aggressive with people they do not know well and animal aggressive as well.
2 :
Sounds like you know dogs, but if you want my advice...I would get a German Shepherd, or a Shepherd mix. I have 3 Shepherd mixes and they're all awesome!! Two are puppies that we rescued- they're sisters :) The reason I like GSD's so much is because they are loyal, smart, easy to train, independent and friendly at the same time, cautious, protective, and wonderful with my kids and any company I have over. They instinctively know when someone is a stranger, versus someone I know. They bark to let me know something isn't right, or that someone is on our property, but when I give the ssshhh!! command...they listen. They feel like they've done their job & all is ok in the world. Don't get me wrong though, they would attack if necessary- to protect me or my family. As a general rule, all dogs have individual personalities. Your best bet is to "meet the parents", ha ha. No, really though. That will tell you a little about how needy the puppy could potentially be as an adult. Sounds like you know what you're doing- I don't think you'll have a problem. I'm glad you're leaning towards a large breed dog- small breeds can't hang out alone for hours and hours. They'll go nuts!! Good luck whatever you choose~ remember to spay or neuter.
3 :
hi, The results of your Matchup will suggest certain breeds, but far more important is the list of qualities we think you might like in a canine companion. http://dogtime.com/matchup/start hope this helps.
4 :
As a complete Anatolian addict/breeder/owner since 1987, I really do NOT think you should get an Anatolian. They do much better in a rural environment than in a suburb or city. They also tend to be barkers and world class diggers. Anatolians are also probably the most work intensive dog you could get and require a lot of "hands on", especially the first three years. If they do not get what they need, they can become a major liability for you .. since you will be working a full time job, you really cannot provide for the needs of this unique breed. I would recommend dogs that do well in the type of environment you will be living in ... and that does not fit the Anatolian mindset at all. Sandie King Alaturka Anatolians http://alaturka.org]


Read more discussion :